Monday, September 13, 2010

A Thank You for the Breakthrough

I'm always amazed at God's gifts. They seem to come at just the right time and in just the right way.

I've been struggling with writer's block for quite a while, now. Maybe 9 months, minus the 2 1/2 months I take off during the summer. I just could not, could not, could not generate any new story ideas. Even the older stuff I was working on seemed to be mired in a standstill traffic jam.

And worse. . . I wasn't finding any joy when I wrote. Just this terrible pressure to produce. It doesn't get any worse for a writer.

So, I found myself praying to God and Jesus to let me find the joy again. I always pray as I write asking for Them to let me bring goodness to children through my stories. But I found myself needing the goodness from the writing.

And hours after the prayer, I found the gift. A story- fresh, new, never pondered before- opened up right before me. And there was joy.

Thank you, God and Jesus, for hearing us, leading us on when we are tired and joyless, helping us find the way.