Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Perfect Soup

Great news! My new picture book Perfect Soup (illus. Ben Mantle, Random House) was released today. I'm so excited because I absolutely love how this book turned out.

Murray the mouse likes everything perfect- especially his soup. So when Murray discovers he's missing a carrot for Perfect Soup, he sets out to get one. But getting a carrot isn't as easy as it seems. The farmer wants him to haul wood. The horse wants bells to feel fancy, and that's just the beginning of the list Murray must fulfill. Just when things are bleakest, Snowman gives him a gift without asking for anything in return, and Murray discovers that friendship is much more important than perfection.

Ben Mantle did an extraordinary job with the illustrations, adding exquisite color and detail on every page. Every single time I read it-and I've read it a lot, believe me-I find something new and exciting in the pictures. One time, I'll follow the little bird throughout the story. Another time, I looked at how Murray's hat mimics his mood-enthusiastic, downtrodden, and surprised. I love to look inside the houses to see what kinds of things are in Murray's kitchen, Mrs. Wooly's teapot-shaped house, and so much more. Every turning of the page is an illustrated treasure.

I feel such gratitude for all the blessings that come with each book- the joy of writing it, the tremendous appreciation for the artist and illustrations, my wonderful, wonderful editor, the bookstores and libraries who will put it on their shelves, and the children and adults who will read it and hopefully laugh along with it. I thank God and Jesus for this dream come true!

Happy Reading All!